This week we welcomed The Sun Harmonic (aka Kaleb Hikele) back to the show to share his latest single A Dream I’ve Had with us. Kaleb was challenged to write, record, and release a song in 48 hours, and he totally did it!…
This week Song Talk Radio welcomed Gilbert Neal to our studio.
A master song craftsman, Gilbert Neal – on his latest release Mistakes of Memory shows the depth and diversity of his influences: Leonard Cohen, Pink Floyd, ELO, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Stephen Sondheim.…
Good friend, manic composer, and musically big brained Frank Horvat joined us to talk all about key modulations, with three example songs. We talked about:
- the difference between borrowing chords and modulation
- chromatic alteration, where a single semi-tone difference can change the contour of your chord progression
- referring to the circle of fifths to see modulation that are close or far from your base key signature
- using pivot chords to bridge the gap between key signatures
- key modulation between different sections of a song vs.
Songwriting master Blair Packham stopped by and we gave a deep dive on The Beatles Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. Friend of the show Mike MacInnes sat in for Bruce.
Stuff we talked about:
- John Lennon / Paul McCartney comparisons
- Candy Flip’s version of Strawberry Fields
- Key Modulations
- Penny Lane Lyrics & Chords at UltimateGuitar.com