Songwriter, composer, and music teacher Frank Horvat joined us to talk about scales, the different kinds and colours of chords, and using chords as a palette for your songwriting.
- Intervals (2 notes) and triads (chords with 3 notes)
- Major and minor triads and their different tonal colours
- The hardly-ever-used diminished (or seven) chord
- The Nashville chord numbering system
- The tonic (I) and dominant (V) chord relationship
- A typical blues chord progression (I-IV-I-V-IV-I)
- Chord extensions (7th’s and 9th’s)
- Writing from the head vs.
Frank dropped by Song Talk Radio again, this time with songs from his recent release, Strange Machine. We talked about:
- using wikiloops for free backing tracks
- unconventional time signatures, and unusual uses of 4/4
- the differences between art songs and pop songs
- a modern twist on the protest song
- Frank’s experimental writing process using Logic
Listen to the show:
About Frank Horvat
With a Broken Social Scene-like attitude, Toronto’s ambient-edged art rock band, The Frank Horvat Band, uses a colourful canvas to create songs for a dynamic and intoxicating aural experience.…
Frank talks about his song “Waiting…in 3 chords” – namely, Am, G and F.…
Our very own Neel talks about creating non-standard time-signature based EDM music. Past guest and composer Frank Horvat co-hosted while Neel’s better half, Hema handled the social media.
Some stuff we talked about:
Listen to the show
Famous songs with odd time signatures