This week SongTalk welcomed Donna Linklater to our studio.
Soprano and composer/songwriter Donna Linklater studied opera with Sylvia Richardson at Brandon University. Toward the end of her studies, she began to focus on new music and was especially taken with the aleatoric music of John Cage which gave her greater freedom of creative expression.…
Visiting from the United Kingdom, Pena Hughes-John joined us with two of her original songs. We talked about:
- Steampunk as a culture, fashion statement, and musical style
- Writing songs on the ukulele
- How many chords is too many?
- Collaborating with others
- Writing a song from a writing prompt
- Using time signature changes to introduce tension
- Our show all about rhymes with Blair Packham
- Using reverse vocals in your recordings
Listen to the show
Download the lyrics for:
Matt stopped by and we talked about the ins and outs of writing songs with humour. Friend of the show, Dave Miner subbed in for Neel!
Some stuff we talked about:
Listen to the whole show:
Rogers brings many insights into songwriting from his time spent in Nashville, and performs three of his beautiful songs live in the Song Talk studio – including one written and performed on ukulele!
Addy talks about the ideas behind his songs “Think of Me”, “Dark Horse”, “The River” and performs two songs live in the studio.