Songwriter, composer, and music teacher Frank Horvat joined us to talk about scales, the different kinds and colours of chords, and using chords as a palette for your songwriting.
- Intervals (2 notes) and triads (chords with 3 notes)
- Major and minor triads and their different tonal colours
- The hardly-ever-used diminished (or seven) chord
- The Nashville chord numbering system
- The tonic (I) and dominant (V) chord relationship
- A typical blues chord progression (I-IV-I-V-IV-I)
- Chord extensions (7th’s and 9th’s)
- Writing from the head vs.