This week SongTalk welcomed David McLachlan to our studio.
This week, SongTalk welcomed jazz pianist and teacher Steve Koven. Steve is a composer, performer, producer and educator. He has one of the longest standing trios in Canada, performing, touring and recording together for over 26 year. Aside from performing and recording with his trio – Steve Koven Trio – Steve also has other recording projects such as the Koven Collective and Koven & Law as well as Lazersuzan
We talked with Steve about:
- his process for writing
- how he communicates his song ideas to his bands
- the touring opportunities available through consulates and embassies
- where he finds inspiration for his music
- what improvising can bring to songwriting
Singer/songwriter Angela Saini returns with a couple of great tunes and some pretty in depth talk about songwriting concepts.
Listen to the full show
Stuff we talked about:
- Angela’s first appearance on Song Talk Radio
- Songs: live vs recording
Toronto-based singer-songwriter Angela Saini joined us to talk about her process and two beautifully crafted songs: Something Like I’m Beautiful and Living on the Bright Side. We talked about:
- Switching from a major to minor key for your bridge
- How to connect emotionally with your listeners
- Song endings – to resolve to not resolve?
Talented teen singer-songwriter Jules joined us again, after her first appearance over a year ago. In the midst of writing songs for her sophomore release, Jules talked with the Song Talk Radio Action Team about:
- FACTOR grants for Canadians, and why you should hire a grant writer
- Unsigned Only Songwriting Competition
- writing from a title
- writing lyrics that are open to interpretation
- working on a lyric until it’s perfect
- what a band brings to the songwriting process
- how teens are feeling about issues and putting them into songs
Listen to the whole show:
Watch the live performances:
The always entertaining singer/songwriter TC FolkPunk returned to the show and played a couple of punky solo electric guitar songs and talked about playing solo without a band with just an electric guitar.
Some Stuff We Talked About
- TC FolkPunks first appearance on Song Talk Radio
- Lyrics: Sort of Like Danielle & The World of You
Faaria was one of our first guests on Song Talk Radio (check out her first episode) and she joined us once again with new songs about relationships, where none of them are autobiographical (or so she claims).
Stuff we talked about:
- writing from different point-of-views
- relationship songs
- how practicing songwriting can affect the enjoyment of listening to other songs
- progressing the story or idea from verse to verse
- spicing up chords using the Circle of Fifths
- the value of collaboration and playing around with songwriting suggestions
Download the lyrics for Faaria’s songs.…
Maple Blues Award Best New Artist nominee and harmonica player, Son Roberts stopped by the Song Talk Radio studios with guitarist John Crosbie and had a fun and wide ranging conversation about writing blues influenced tunes.
Here’s what we talked about:
- The Maple Blues Awards
- Son Roberts Lyrics – Not Nuff NIght
- Son Roberts Lyrics – Cold Black Chair
- Listener’s question: Am I being too self-critical?
Our very own Tweeting SongBird, Janice moved to the other side of the mic. We talked about her having Opera training and her natural bluesy style.
Some stuff we talked about:
- Yamaha’s Ticket to the Juno’s Songwriting contest
- Entries in the contest
- Ren & Stimpy
- Sonja Seller’s Show on Song Talk Radio
- Megan Lindsay Voice Teacher
- Janice’s Lyrics
- Janice’s Songstress event
- Radiohead – Supercollider
- Music publisher agrees to pay $14m to end Happy Birthday song lawsuit
Melanie treats the team to two live performances, talks about duality and contradictions in her songs, and asks the ultimate Facebook quiz question, “Is your guy good on paper?”
We also talked about:
- Pat Pattison’s songwriting seminar on youTube
- writing from a title
- crowdfunding for your album on indiegogo
Toronto’s TC Folkpunk talks about only needing his electric guitar and voice to play shows and gain fans! Really fun stuff.
The well traveled Robert Graham talks about writing some pretty cool tunes!…
Bruce, Neel, and Phil celebrate their first year of Song Talk Radio with a freshly written tribute song to all the guests over the past year. They also feature and discuss five songs from the Songwriter’s Cafe Showcase concert at the Central Bar on Oct 26.…
Dom talks with the Song Talk Radio team about his ideas, working with producers, and the release of his latest CD. He also performs “The Autumn Wind” live with a poetry reading and song with acoustic guitar and voice.
Lilian talks about intuition and feelings in her songs, and how she stole borrowed her first guitar from her brother. We talk about the other stuff. She also performs all three songs live in the studio:
Helene talks about her journey as a songwriter for children promoting the French language in schools across Canada. She performs “Moi j’m’aime de meme”, “Quand je serai grand je serai petit” and “Still a Kid” live at Song Talk Radio with her guitarist Gady.…
The Song Talk Action Team writes the beginning of a song live on the air, in a “no-free” zone!…