Actor, playwright, filmmaker, and musician, Michael Louis Johnson shares his experiences with his improvisation bands Rambunctious and Little Rambunctious, 13-member and 5-member brass bands, respectively.
We talked about:
- Michael’s approach to improvising a lyric for a song title suggested by an audience member
- How to create lyrics based on who’s in the audience
- The value of a band that only exists “in the moment”
- How to get the audience dancing
This week SongTalk welcomed Robert Ball to our studio.
A native Torontonian, Robert Ball is a multi-faceted singer who has traveled to and performed in over 60 countries around the world.
His sound has been described as soulful, jazzy, Neo-soul and he is a much in-demand session singer.…
This week SongTalk welcomed Adriel Smiley to our studio. Adriel is the Music Director of CJRU – Ryerson’s Radio station – and Adriel brought a wealth of information about college radio and the best way musicians can get their music played on these stations.…
Toronto-based virtuoso electronic music duo Audio Insurgency joined us for a second time to talk about their latest projects, including an album of inventive video game music covers.
Audio Insurgency is made up of Alon Rodovinsky and Ivan Popov. The guys previously appeared on Song Talk Radio in early 2016.…
For our Valentine’s Day special, each member of the Song Talk Radio team brought a favourite love song too woo our listeners. All the songs were very different, and we each had a different take on what makes a good love song:
- Bruce appreciates authentic, honest expressions of love
- Neel likes it when there’s a nuanced message
- Vanessa looks for a specific emotional response in the listener
- Etain likes sincere and from the heart love songs that you can dance to
- Phil likes honesty and originality in his “happy” love songs, and
- favourite twitter follower of the show, Sharon (), said “Love songs should make you remember what it’s like to be in love.”
Old friend of the show Dokter Nomi came by and we talked about his unique way of writing songs, working with producers and amassing over 42,000 twitter followers!
Some stuff we talked about:
Returning guest Bojan Lands talks about his song “Bojol Ojo” and the breaking of the beat.…