Very excited to have the Juno-award winning songwriter, author of an international #1 hit song and the very first MuchMusic VJ join us on SongTalk. Christopher Ward has done all that and more. In our recent interview, Chris talked about his new release Same River Twice, its unique recording process and why he wanted to include his version of his song Black Velvet on the album.…
This week SongTalk welcomed Doktor Nomi to our studio.
Admittedly Nomi is not a real doctor but he does have a unique and interesting way of creating music. As a topliner and lyricist, Nomi frequently works with other collaborators to create his music.…
Actor, playwright, filmmaker, and musician, Michael Louis Johnson shares his experiences with his improvisation bands Rambunctious and Little Rambunctious, 13-member and 5-member brass bands, respectively.
We talked about:
- Michael’s approach to improvising a lyric for a song title suggested by an audience member
- How to create lyrics based on who’s in the audience
- The value of a band that only exists “in the moment”
- How to get the audience dancing
This week SongTalk welcomed Robert Ball to our studio.
A native Torontonian, Robert Ball is a multi-faceted singer who has traveled to and performed in over 60 countries around the world.
His sound has been described as soulful, jazzy, Neo-soul and he is a much in-demand session singer.…
Toronto-based virtuoso electronic music duo Audio Insurgency joined us for a second time to talk about their latest projects, including an album of inventive video game music covers.
Audio Insurgency is made up of Alon Rodovinsky and Ivan Popov. The guys previously appeared on Song Talk Radio in early 2016.…
For our Valentine’s Day special, each member of the Song Talk Radio team brought a favourite love song too woo our listeners. All the songs were very different, and we each had a different take on what makes a good love song:
- Bruce appreciates authentic, honest expressions of love
- Neel likes it when there’s a nuanced message
- Vanessa looks for a specific emotional response in the listener
- Etain likes sincere and from the heart love songs that you can dance to
- Phil likes honesty and originality in his “happy” love songs, and
- favourite twitter follower of the show, Sharon (@), said “Love songs should make you remember what it’s like to be in love.”
Old friend of the show Dokter Nomi came by and we talked about his unique way of writing songs, working with producers and amassing over 42,000 twitter followers!
Some stuff we talked about:
- Writing music with a global flare
- Working with producers including our own Neel Modi
- Mikey Dorje Loopsy Dazy
- Richard Citroen
- Lola Dutronic
- Mason Bach
Returning guest Bojan Lands talks about his song “Bojol Ojo” and the breaking of the beat.…