We figured it was time to talk about rhyme; a cornerstone of songwriting. So we invited one of our favourite singer/songwriters – Blair Packham – to take a closer listen to songs with a plethora of rhymes and one with virtually none! We talked about:
- The songwriter’s personal approach to rhyme
- Does rhyme distract from the the emotion of the song?
- Kinds of rhymes – rhymezone.com
- Perfect rhymes for something certain (e.g. right/might)
- Assonance rhymes for uncertainty or negative feelings (e.g. around/down, blood/rush)
- Pat Pattison – how do rhymes serve the song?
- Rhyme schemes
- Neel’s notes on rhyming from Pat Pattison’s Songwriting course on Coursera
- The notion of the “illusion of authenticity” – stay tuned for a future theme show with Blair!
Listen to the show