This week we welcomed Kitchener, Ontario-based singer-songwriter and storyteller Jesse Parent to the show to talk about his COVID-19 pandemic inspired song, Learning to Live Apart.
We talked about:
- Our new podcast format for 30 minute episodes
- How valuable it is to play and study cover songs
- Why you should record your ideas right away, even if it’s the middle of the night
- Our episode on Songs that don’t change their chord progression
- Emotional lyrics vs. sentimental lyrics
- How to write lyrics with specifics without being too specific
- How to spotlight the title in your song through melody and rhythm
Download the lyrics to Learning to Live Apart to follow along.