As the founder and president of Linus Entertainment, Geoff Kulawick grew the start up label to become one of the most successful independent music companies in Canada.Mr. Kulawick has successfully sourced, negotiated and closed on the asset purchase of twelve prominent label and publishing catalogs, most recent the closing on January 1 2021 of the Borealis Records & Publishing catalog, with over 100 albums of sound recordings and compositions including the catalog of iconic singer songwriter Stan Rogers, and the Stony Plain Records & publishing catalog of over 100 albums including music of Ian Tyson, Blues Hall of Fame artists Ronnie Earl, Duke Robillard, Eric Bibb, Sue Foley, Long John Baldry, and others.
Prior to founding Linus Entertainment in 2001, Mr. Kulawick was the head of Artists & Repertoire for Virgin/EMI Music Canada, and Creative Director at Warner Chappell Music, at the time the largest global music publishing Company. A respected music industry executive he served as a founding board member of MERLIN, and on the board of CIMA for over a decade.
We talked about:
- Jeff Tweedy’s new book “How to write one song“
- When to register your songs to SOCAN (or other)
- How a label helps an artist’s career
- How labels only support recordings and videos, not tours or live performances
- Why an artist may choose to give up their publishing rights to a label
- Marketing music vs. distributing music