This week on SongTalk we look at a simple songwriting technique that may be more complicated than you think – songs with one chord progression.
That’s right, no guest this week just the SongTalk team – Phil, Neel and Mike – talking about the ways songs with just one series of chords repeated over and over have become huge hits. What’s the secret? Take a listen.
We talked about:
- where the single-chord idea came from historically
- how lyrics can make a big difference
- what arrangement of melodies work best
- how production can be help and when it’s a cheat
- creating dynamics with tension and release
Listen to the songs in full on our Spotify playlist or watch the videos: