For our latest theme show, we take a look at some of our favorite Protest Songs and try to figure out what makes an effective one. We looked at River Runs Red by Midnight Oil, Eve of Destruction by P.F. Sloan, and Phil talks about how his band The Parkdale Hookers, went about writing their punk-anthem Multi-Media Word and talked about how not to date a protest song.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Stuff we talked about:
- Pathetic Fallacy: The phrase pathetic fallacy is a literary term for the attributing of human emotion and conduct to all aspects within nature. It is a kind of personification that is found in poetic writing when, for example, clouds seem sullen, when leaves dance, or when rocks seem indifferent
- Objective correlative: a literary term referring to a symbolic article used to provide explicit, rather than implicit, access to traditionally inexplicable concepts as emotion or color.
- Producer Eric Ratz
- The Parkdale Hookers
- The Parkdale Hookers on iTunes
- Midnight Oil
- Eve of Destruction Lyrics
- River Runs Red lyrics
- Multi-Media World – The Parkdale Hookers lyrics