This week SongTalk featured a few songs from our listeners. And it was loads of fun.
We chose three of our listeners’ songs to take a closer listen to.
Stuart Cook – near Manchester, England penned a delightful song inspired by the view from a hill near his home. Earthbound, his song has a traditional feel with a beautiful vocal melody. Download the lyrics for Earthbound.
Matt Oshin – a singer/songwriter/surfer influenced by the Florida coastal sounds has created a very honest and moving song about life without a father. Download the lyrics to Come Back.
Scott Westerman – a postman in South Yorkshire England, presented us with a wonderfully produced tune that deals with the difficulty of starting over after a heartbreak. Download the lyrics to Out of the Cold.
These compositions led to many good discussions like:
- when to stick to familiar structures and when to break the rules
- how to bring focus to lyrics without losing universal appeal
- writing for yourself versus writing for an audience
- how to get started on a song and when to finish
- Neel’s post on why you should record quietly
- Phil’s post on Creating Lyric Sheets that Don’t Suck