Canadian musician Jerry Sereda is a decorated Country artist who can’t help but capture music fans everywhere he goes. With his gripping and energetic live performances, Jerry celebrates his Indigenous heritage by weaving personal stories and experiences into his delightfully catchy songs. Beginning his music career as the winner of a local music contest who earned the opportunity to record his first single, the 2010 Indigenous Music Awards Best New Artist has firmly established his roots in the Canadian Country music scene. Drawing comparisons to the vocal and live performance style of Country legends Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw, Jerry has shared the stage with prominent Country artists including four-time JUNO award winner Johnny Reid and Canadian Country Music Association award recipient Jason Blaine.
We talked about:
- Writing a song in an unusual mode for our next songwriting challenge
- How Jerry intersects his indigenous identity with his country songs
- Writing songs with complexity or simplicity
- Collaborating with goals and intention
- Writing with songwriters you don’t know – Nashville style
- How to write a “short” song
- What MAPL means for Canadian songwriters and recording artists
- Cell phone coverage in Manitoba (yes, this is songwriting related)
Download the awesome lyric sheet Jerry provided for his song Backroad Therapy and follow along with the show.
Follow Jerry Sereda, and feel free to contact him for free feedback and advice on your songwriting!