Canadian and internationally-reaching singer/songwriter Jeffery Straker joined us to talk about his process, collaborations, and great songwriting advice.
We talked about:
- Conservatory training vs. ear training
- When not to give your chorus a conventional “lift”
- Editing your song, even the main title and hook so it brings your idea to a better light
- How to use space in your song
- What does “prosody” mean?
- Economy of lyrics
- Does your song need a bridge?
- Collaborating with Royal Wood and Lawrence Katz
- Keeping track of and building a bank of your song ideas
We also welcome Linda Lavender who will be helping out on the tech board in the future. Thanks and welcome aboard Linda!