Born in England, raised in The Netherlands, Paul Vos shared two of his songs with us at Song Talk Radio.
The first was “Lost Along the Way” a song about finding love when you least expect it. Listen for the awesome 80’s background vocals on the chorus! The second tune, “Heaven in My Hands” had us all dancing to its funky beat and tasty guitar licks. It also sparked a lively discussion on the merits and possible pitfalls of repetition in a song. Over the course of the program we also talked about:
- writing songs with only a bass line or a beat
- How some lyrics sound like something else when they’re heard (like “re-find it”)
- How long should a pre-chorus be?
- How a song can benefit from a bridge, a breakdown, or an instrumental interlude
- Whether a singer’s vocal style should change dramatically during a song
Blair Packham filled in for Phil for this show. Thanks Blair!