From the moment Blair Packham started to speak, we knew we were in for some great lessons from a master songwriter and experienced teacher. If You Were Mine featured a great bridge and instrumental break. In Her Dreams started out as a story of a woman in a call centre and moved to a daughter caring for an ailing mother. In our wide-ranging conversation we also touched on the following:
- who are you writing for?
- does the song connect emotionally with the listener?
- collaboration is good
- ask for feedback and use it
- write from your creativity
- the new singer-songwriter accent (Shawn Mendes song Stitches for example)
- song-writing workshops (songstudio.ca)