Described as “sickly sweet”, singer/songwriter Jadyn Lamb embodies moody electronic pop with a style similar to Lorde and Kate Bush. Jadyn was joined on the show by her producer Marco Palma (Material City).
We talked about:
- FACTOR Canada
- MusicExpo happening in Mississauga this weekend!
- Upcoming Song Talk Challenge songwriting challenge: positive lyrics in a minor key.
- NextChord.APP chord suggesting app for iOS
- ROYAL MINT UNVEILS NEW £5 COIN CELEBRATING FREDDIE MERCURY AND QUEEN
- What musician would you like on the new Canadian $5 bill
- The Eric Alper PR
- Foley in modern music
- JADYN LAMB – Long Way Home Lyric Page
- JADYN LAMB – Bad Sign Lyric Page
This week SongTalk welcomed FEATURETTE to our studio.
The Toronto-based duo FEATURETTE, formed by singer Lexie Jay and drummer, Jon Fedorsen, makes emotionally-charged, heavy-hitting electro-pop music that has been met with international critical acclaim.
After receiving their first full recording grant from FACTOR Canada, the duo released their debut LP CRAVE in October, 2016. The duo have played alongside such notable acts as Alessia Cara, Dear Rouge and Walk Off the Earth – to name just a few.
FEATURETTE’s distinctive honesty and grit is front and centre in their sophomore album Dream Riot which was just released on January 17th via all streaming platforms. They brought their high energy and love of music to our studio to chat about all things musical. And, of course, their bunny head.
We talked with Lexie and Jon about:
- the unique reason that Featurette was formed
- how Lexie uses the sounds of words to spur her lyric writing
- the way songs evolve from solo piano to sonic songscapes
- the role music video plays in the concept of Featurette
- creating melody from non-melodic sources
- our previous show on Protest Songs
Press Room: https://featurette.prezly.com/media
Our Songwriting Challenge is well under-way, and we’ll be showcasing our songs on the January 28 episode. We invite you to share your answer to the challenge as well – send us your song to be featured on a future episode.
This week SongTalk welcomes… Christmas into our studio.
For our Xmas Eve show, we all brought in our favourite Christmas songs and had a good chat about what makes them so great. Featuring some classics and some new songs that you may not have heard before. So pour yourself some Rum and Eggnog or some other suitable libation and have a listen.
Happy Holidays! from the entire SongTalk Gang!
Super-fan of the show Mike MacInnes joined us for our final live show of 2019, and indeed of the decade, for our personal takes on the best songs of the last 10 years. We also created a Spotify playlist of all the songs!
We talked about: